FREE Email Subscription
- High School Lacrosse: St. Stephen's & St. Agnes Boys Lacrosse (VA) Goalie's Incredible "80-Yard" Scoring Shot In 8-5 VISAA Semifinal Win… 3 hours ago
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: “Unseeded” Cornell Men’s Lacrosse “Thriving In Underdog Role”, Looking To Play Best Lacrosse Of… 3 hours ago
- "2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships": #2 Westminster Men's Lacrosse (CO) Faces #1 St. Thomas (MN) In Div II Finals On May 18… 20 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #4 Denver Men's Lacrosse (13-4) Faces #5 North Carolina In Quarterfinals On May 19 In… 1 day ago
- "2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships": #1 Colorado State Men's Lacrosse Faces #2 Colorado In Finals On May 18; Rams Return To Finals… 1 day ago
- "2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships": Semifinals Feature #1 Colorado State Men's Lacrosse Defeating #4 BYU 9-7 And #2 Colorado… 1 day ago
- High School Lacrosse: Video Scoring Highlights Of National #1 Boys Latin Lacrosse (19-0) 13-8 Win Over #17 St. Paul's (15-5) On May 7… 1 day ago
- Lacrosse Injuries: Pennsylvania High School Girls Lacrosse Team Using New "Kevlar Composite Protective Headband" In Pilot Program To Help… 1 day ago
- "2013 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Championships": #2 Northwestern Women's Lacrosse (18-2) Hosts #7 Penn State (14-6) In Quarterfinals On May 18… 1 day ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #3 Ohio State Men's Lacrosse Takes On #8 Cornell In Quarterfinals On May 18 In College Park, MD… 1 day ago
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: “Unseeded” Cornell Men’s Lacrosse “Thriving In Underdog Role”, Looking To Play Best Lacrosse Of The Season Against Ohio State On May 18 (Video)
- High School Lacrosse: St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes Boys Lacrosse (VA) Goalie’s Incredible “80-Yard Scoring Shot” In 8-5 VISAA Semifinal Win Over Woodberry Forest On May 17 (Video)
- “2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships”: #2 Westminster Men’s Lacrosse (CO) Faces #1 St. Thomas (MN) In Div II Finals On May 18
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: #4 Denver Men’s Lacrosse (13-4) Faces #5 North Carolina In Quarterfinals On May 19 In Indianapolis
- “2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships”: #1 Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse Faces #2 Colorado In Finals On May 18; Rams Return To Finals For Second Year In A Row & Ninth In School History
TagsBYU Cal Berkeley California Championships Club Teams Coaches College Recruits Colorado Colorado State Denver Division I Duke High School Boys High School Girls Johns Hopkins Lacrosse Magazine Major League Lacrosse Maryland MCLA Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association Men's Lacrosse Men's Lacrosse Programs Michigan MLL NCAA NLL Northern California Northwestern Notre Dame Ohio State Orange County Oregon Profiles Rankings Recruiting Schedules Southern California Stanford Syracuse US Lacrosse Victory Collegiate Consulting Videos Virginia Women's Lacrosse Women's Lacrosse Programs
- Should Helmets Be Introduced To Women’s Lacrosse? | Pretty Little Lions on High School Girls Lacrosse Injuries: Recent Head Injuries Fuel Calls For Women Lacrosse Players To Wear Headgear For Protection
- RK on NCAA Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of #3 Denver Men’s Lacrosse 13-12 Win Over #5 Loyola
- RK on NCAA Div II Lacrosse: Dominican Men’s Lacrosse (6-4) Come From Behind To Defeat Colorado Mesa 8-7 On April 7; Two-Game Lead In WILA Standings
- Bruce Dunfee on MCLA Lacrosse: #1 Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse Travels To #4 BYU In Big RMLC Conference Championship Game Rematch On April 5
- john mahoney on US Lacrosse Youth Rules: Boys Lacrosse “Substitutions” Are Either “Regular” Or “Special” (Video)
Tag Archives: Long Island Lizards
Major League Lacrosse: “New York Lizards” Re-Branding Increases Lacrosse Footprint To New York City, New Jersey And Connecticut
Major League Lacrosse: “Behind The Scenes” Of Denver Outlaws Second-Half Comeback Victory Over Long Island Lizards In 2012 MLL Championship Weekend Semifinal (Video)
A behind the scenes look at the historic second-half comeback by the Denver Outlaws against the Long Island Lizards in the first semifinal of MLL Championship Weekend 2012.
Major League Lacrosse Championships: Denver Outlaws Defeat Long Island Lizards 13-12 After Trailing By 9 Goals In Third Quarter; Face Chesapeake In Championship Game On Aug 26
Major League Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws Face Long Island Lizards In First Semifinal Game Of 2012 MLL Championship Weekend On Aug 25
Semifinal Game 1:
No. 4 Long Island (8-6) vs. No. 1 Denver (11-3)
1 p.m. Saturday (ESPN2/ESPN3)
Harvard Stadium, Cambridge, Mass.
The 2012 storylines for Long Island and Denver aren’t all that dissimilar: Both have a first-year head coach — Joe Spallina of Long Island, Jim Stagnitta of Denver — and both underwent significant roster overhauls in the offseason, which led to doubts about their postseason aspirations. But they enter Championship Weekend riding distinctly different streaks: Denver has won six straight, and is considered the trendy pick to win its first title; Long Island dropped consecutive games to end the season and backed into the playoffs.
“The tide turned for us, but only in the last couple weeks. We went through the season as everyone questioned: Can this team compete?” Stagnitta said. “People picked us to not even make the playoffs earlier in the year. We were a tweener. I don’t think our guys have lost that mentality, honestly. I don’t think you go from being the big underdog that we were to legitimately being a big favorite.”
Seemingly the only thing that could get in the Outlaws’ way: themselves, or more specifically, their own roster health. Faceoff specialist Anthony Kelly has been battling a hamstring injury for most of the season, and he will play an important role in slowing Gurenlian, though Kelly (when he was with Ohio) won only 2-of-15 against Gurenlian earlier in the year.
Stagnitta expects Kelly to be ready for the weekend.
“I have not heard anything that would make me think that it’s not fine,” Stagnitta said. “Anthony is a veteran, and he’s been around a long time. In my conversations with him, he’s pulled up short of doing any type of serious damage to it. He and the trainers both felt he would be fine. Obviously he’s had a couple weeks to rehab and work on it. My expectation, and all the information I’ve gotten, is he should be fine.”
Denver also activated earlier this month rookie Stephen Robarge (VMI), who went 17-for-30 against Gurenlian in early May before sustaining a “broken high thumb between his wrist and thumb.” Stagnitta suggested the Outlaws would dress Robarge on Saturday.
“Anthony is a big boy. But it’s two days, a lot of faceoffs,” Stagnitta said. “We just felt like, if we have him there with us that weekend, one way or the other, he would be that safety net for us, just in case. Also, just to give Anthony a break and let him catch his breath, and not have to take 50 faceoffs over a weekend.”
Stagnitta has preached all year playing balanced team offense, and balanced team defense. But he knows the importance the center of the field will play against Long Island.
For more: http://www.laxmagazine.com/mll/2011-12/news/082312_overhauled_denver_long_island_square_off_in_major_league_lacrosse_semifinals
Major League Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of Long Island Lizards Attacker Matt Gibson’s “Behind The Back Goal” And Hamilton Nationals Attacker Cody Jamieson’s “Bounce Pass”
Major League Lacrosse: 2012 MLL Championship Weekend Semifinal Games Feature Denver Outlaws Vs Long Island Lizards And Boston Cannons Vs Chesapeake Bayhawks On Aug 25
Sat., Aug. 25, semifinals:
1 p.m. — Long Island (8-6) vs. Denver (11-3)
4 p.m. — Boston (9-5) vs. Chesapeake (10-4)
Sun., Aug. 26, championship:
3 p.m. — MLL championship game
Major League Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of Denver Outlaws 14-8 Road Loss To Long Island Lizards On June 23
After delayed and cancelled flights, the Outlaws finally arrived to James M. Shuart Stadium as a full squad just hours before faceoff.
From the beginning of the game it was a fight for the lead but by the end, Long Island was able to pull away to win the game 14-8.
Outlaws goalie Jesse Schwartzman and Lizards goalie Drew Adams had their share of shots and saves in the first half. Schwartzman had 12 shots on goal with seven saves while Adams had 11 shots on goal with six saves.
During the first half of the game, Jordan McBride led the Outlaws with three goals. McBride scored two of his three goals in the first quarter, getting his third just in time to tie the game at 5-5 before halftime.
Major League Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws Defeat Long Island Lizards 14-11 On Aug 6 To Clinch Playoff Birth
Needing a win to clinch its sixth consecutive playoff berth, Denver improved to 10-0 all-time in the regular season against Long Island with a 14-11 victory in Hempstead, N.Y. The team has reached the postseason in each of its six seasons in the league.
The Outlaws opened the second half with a 4-0 run, kicked off by Drew Westervelt’s two-pointer on a man-up opportunity. Dillon Roy and Kevin Unterstein came through with their first goals of the season as nine different players netted goals in the contest.
Tim Goettelmann started the night’s scoring just over one minute into the contest, but Denver responded with three consecutive goals.
Max Seibald got the Outlaws on the board at the 7:01 mark with his 11th goal of the season. Brendan Mundorf followed with a goal to put Denver in front 2-1. Roy netted his first goal of the season with 1:18 left in the quarter to give the Outlaws a 3-1 advantage through one period.
Matt Danowski and Mike Unterstein went back-to-back to start the second quarter for the Lizards and tie the game 3-3.
Billy Bitterfound the back of the net to put the Outlaws out in front, but Stephen Berger answered off the ensuing faceoff to knot the game once again.
Max Seibald, who earned Player of the Game honors, scored his first of two goals at the 10:57 mark before John Grant, Jr. evened the score at 5-5 1:55 before halftime.
Major League Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws Goalie Jesse Schwartzman And Long Island Lizards Middie Stephen Berger Interviewed During 2011 MLL All-Star Game (Video)
Denver Outlaws Goaltender Jesse Schwartzman and Long Island Lizards Midfielder Stephen Berger talk during the 2011 Sports Authority MLL All-Star Game.