FREE Email Subscription
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #7 Duke Men's Lacrosse Rallies To Beat #2 Notre Dame 12-11 In Quarterfinals To Advance To Final… 8 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #4 Denver Men's Lacrosse Comes Back From Six-Down To Beat #5 North Carolina 12-11 To Advance To… 10 hours ago
- Major League Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws (4-0) Win May 18 Home Opener 20-7 Over Rochester Rattlers wp.me/pg5sH-958 13 hours ago
- "2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships": #1 Colorado State Men's Lacrosse (21-0) Captures Second Consecutive National Championship With… 13 hours ago
- High School Lacrosse: Loyola-Blakefield Boys Lacrosse Stuns #1 Boys Latin 10-9 To Win 2013 MIAA-A Championship On May 17 (Video)… 14 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Championships": #2 Northwestern Women's Lacrosse Pounds Penn State 15-7 On May 18 To Advance To Final Four… 14 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #1 Syracuse Men's Lacrosse Rallies From Two Goals Down To Beat Yale 7-6 And Advance To Final Four… 14 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": ESPN Preview Of Quarterfinal Matchup Between #2 Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse And #7 Duke (Video)… 15 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": Cornell Men's Lacrosse Dominates #3 Ohio State 16-6 On May 18 To Advance To Final Four… 1 day ago
- High School Lacrosse: St. Stephen's & St. Agnes Boys Lacrosse (VA) Goalie's Incredible "80-Yard" Scoring Shot In 8-5 VISAA Semifinal Win… 1 day ago
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: #7 Duke Men’s Lacrosse Rallies To Beat #2 Notre Dame 12-11 In Quarterfinals To Advance To Final Four
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: #4 Denver Men’s Lacrosse Comes Back From Six-Down To Beat #5 North Carolina 12-11 To Advance To Final Four; First Team In NCAA Quarterfinal History To Win After Trailing By Five Goals Or More
- Major League Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws (4-0) Win May 18 Home Opener 20-7 Over Rochester Rattlers
- “2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships”: #1 Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse (21-0) Captures Second Consecutive National Championship With 7-2 Win Over #2 Colorado (18-3) On May 18
- High School Lacrosse: Loyola-Blakefield Boys Lacrosse Stuns #1 Boys Latin 10-9 To Win 2013 MIAA-A Championship On May 17 (Video)
TagsBYU Cal Berkeley California Championships Club Teams Coaches College Recruits Colorado Colorado State Denver Division I Duke High School Boys High School Girls Johns Hopkins Lacrosse Magazine Major League Lacrosse Maryland MCLA Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association Men's Lacrosse Men's Lacrosse Programs Michigan MLL NCAA NLL Northern California Northwestern Notre Dame Ohio State Orange County Oregon Profiles Rankings Recruiting Schedules Southern California Stanford Syracuse US Lacrosse Victory Collegiate Consulting Videos Virginia Women's Lacrosse Women's Lacrosse Programs
- Should Helmets Be Introduced To Women’s Lacrosse? | Pretty Little Lions on High School Girls Lacrosse Injuries: Recent Head Injuries Fuel Calls For Women Lacrosse Players To Wear Headgear For Protection
- RK on NCAA Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of #3 Denver Men’s Lacrosse 13-12 Win Over #5 Loyola
- RK on NCAA Div II Lacrosse: Dominican Men’s Lacrosse (6-4) Come From Behind To Defeat Colorado Mesa 8-7 On April 7; Two-Game Lead In WILA Standings
- Bruce Dunfee on MCLA Lacrosse: #1 Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse Travels To #4 BYU In Big RMLC Conference Championship Game Rematch On April 5
- john mahoney on US Lacrosse Youth Rules: Boys Lacrosse “Substitutions” Are Either “Regular” Or “Special” (Video)
Tag Archives: Denver
“2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: #4 Denver Men’s Lacrosse Comes Back From Six-Down To Beat #5 North Carolina 12-11 To Advance To Final Four; First Team In NCAA Quarterfinal History To Win After Trailing By Five Goals Or More
“2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: #4 Denver Men’s Lacrosse (13-4) Faces #5 North Carolina In Quarterfinals On May 19 In Indianapolis
NCAA Lacrosse: Denver Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach Bill Tierney “Changed His Way Of Thinking” To Match Pioneers’ Offensive Tradition And Strengths; “Obsessed With Scoring 13 Goals To Win Now Rather Than Not Giving Up 7 Goals”
“…I’ve said for 1,000 years, it’s much easier for a coach to change than it is for a group of players to change. If we’ve done anything ‘right,’ I think it’s that we’ve changed our way of thinking. We still only want to give up seven, but we we’re certainly willing and happy to win a game 13-11, as opposed to 7-5. It’s just who we are now….”
Bill Tierney, Denver Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach
Last fall, former Lacrosse Magazine writer Matt Forman interviewed Bill Tierney about his shift in philosophy from Fred Smith protégé/quick slide architect/defensive genius at Princeton to suddenly becoming the ringmaster of the greatest offensive circus on Earth at Denver.
“There was a very clear moment in time where that shifted: one of my first meetings with [assistant coach] Matt Brown here at Denver. When I came here four years ago, he was 28 years old, he had more maturity than I do. I sat down with him, and we were talking about him staying on my staff, and I said, ‘Matt, you know I’m a defensive guy, it’s hard to be an offensive coach. You might want to call [former Princeton, current Loyola offensive] coach Dave Metzbower. It’s hard to be an offensive coordinator when the head guy is such a stickler for ‘perfect’ defense. My goal has always been to keep opponents at seven goals or under.’
“And he said, ‘Coach, with these guys, you’ll never be able to play and win like that.’ I said, ‘Well, tell me what we can do then.’ And he said, ‘We can score a lot of goals. A lot of goals.’ Not begrudgingly, more out of due respect for Matt and our players, I didn’t want to change their mindset. It’s a positive, go-to-the-goal mindset.
Wow. If that quote doesn’t deserve its own standalone plaque somewhere in the coaching Hall of Fame, I don’t know what does.
Here’s a first-ballot Hall of Fame skipper, known for inventing a grinding, possession-oriented brand of half-field lacrosse, who quickly embraces another way to play. It takes a lot of confidence for a coach to admit that his schemes — schemes that, in Tierney’s case, won him national championships at Princeton — may not work at a place like Denver.
NCAA Lacrosse: Denver Men’s Lacrosse Junior Defensive Middie Terry Ellis Is A “Big Part” Of Pioneers’ Success; First Black Lacrosse Player From St. Louis To Play At Division I Level
“…Terry Ellis didn’t learn about lacrosse until he was a freshman at Clayton High School outside of St. Louis…Here he is, a standout junior defensive midfielder for the University of Denver and believed to be the first black men’s lacrosse player from St. Louis to play at the NCAA Division I level…”
Ellis, who was bused from north St. Louis to Clayton High School, said he hopes many young kids follow in his footsteps. He introduced lacrosse to an inner-city St. Louis boys club last summer.
DU has a 52-player roster, but coach Bill Tierney and his staff have only 12.6 scholarships to give, split up however they see fit. Ellis, who substitutes whenever the Pioneers lose possession of the ball and is responsible for defending and causing turnovers, is on a full ride. He’s a big part of a team that is making its third consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals this weekend.
Read more: University of Denver lacrosse coach finds gem in Terry Ellis – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_23253629/university-denver-lacrosse-coach-finds-gem-terry-ellis#ixzz2TSzFQ8iq
“2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: Denver Men’s Lacrosse (2,621) & Ohio State (2,358) Draw Record Home Game First Round Attendance
“2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships” Quarterfinals Feature Ohio State Vs Cornell And Syracuse Vs Yale On May 18; North Carolina Vs Denver And Duke Vs Norte Dame On May 19
NCAA Lacrosse: ESPN Analysts Quint Kessenich & Dave Pietramala Preview “2013 Men’s Lacrosse Championship” Quarterfinal Matchup Between Denver And North Carolina On May 19 (Video)
Quint Kessenich and Dave Pietramala preview the NCAA lacrosse quarterfinal matchup between North Carolina and Denver.
NCAA Lacrosse: #13 Denver Women’s Lacrosse (18-3) Trail 12-1 At Halftime, Fall To #4 Florida (18-2) 16-5 On May 12 In 2013 NCAA Tournament
NCAA Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of #5 Denver Men’s Lacrosse 19-14 Win Over Albany In First Round Of 2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Tournament
Sophomore Wesley Berg (Coquitlam, British) recorded career-highs in points (9) and goals (8) as the No. 4 seeded University of Denver men’s lacrosse team defeated Albany 19-14 Saturday evening in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament at Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium.