FREE Email Subscription
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #7 Duke Men's Lacrosse Rallies To Beat #2 Notre Dame 12-11 In Quarterfinals To Advance To Final… 2 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #4 Denver Men's Lacrosse Comes Back From Six-Down To Beat #5 North Carolina 12-11 To Advance To… 4 hours ago
- Major League Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws (4-0) Win May 18 Home Opener 20-7 Over Rochester Rattlers wp.me/pg5sH-958 7 hours ago
- "2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships": #1 Colorado State Men's Lacrosse (21-0) Captures Second Consecutive National Championship With… 7 hours ago
- High School Lacrosse: Loyola-Blakefield Boys Lacrosse Stuns #1 Boys Latin 10-9 To Win 2013 MIAA-A Championship On May 17 (Video)… 8 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Championships": #2 Northwestern Women's Lacrosse Pounds Penn State 15-7 On May 18 To Advance To Final Four… 8 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #1 Syracuse Men's Lacrosse Rallies From Two Goals Down To Beat Yale 7-6 And Advance To Final Four… 8 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": ESPN Preview Of Quarterfinal Matchup Between #2 Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse And #7 Duke (Video)… 8 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": Cornell Men's Lacrosse Dominates #3 Ohio State 16-6 On May 18 To Advance To Final Four… 1 day ago
- High School Lacrosse: St. Stephen's & St. Agnes Boys Lacrosse (VA) Goalie's Incredible "80-Yard" Scoring Shot In 8-5 VISAA Semifinal Win… 1 day ago
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: #7 Duke Men’s Lacrosse Rallies To Beat #2 Notre Dame 12-11 In Quarterfinals To Advance To Final Four
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: #4 Denver Men’s Lacrosse Comes Back From Six-Down To Beat #5 North Carolina 12-11 To Advance To Final Four; First Team In NCAA Quarterfinal History To Win After Trailing By Five Goals Or More
- Major League Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws (4-0) Win May 18 Home Opener 20-7 Over Rochester Rattlers
- “2013 MCLA Lacrosse National Championships”: #1 Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse (21-0) Captures Second Consecutive National Championship With 7-2 Win Over #2 Colorado (18-3) On May 18
- High School Lacrosse: Loyola-Blakefield Boys Lacrosse Stuns #1 Boys Latin 10-9 To Win 2013 MIAA-A Championship On May 17 (Video)
TagsBYU Cal Berkeley California Championships Club Teams Coaches College Recruits Colorado Colorado State Denver Division I Duke High School Boys High School Girls Johns Hopkins Lacrosse Magazine Major League Lacrosse Maryland MCLA Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association Men's Lacrosse Men's Lacrosse Programs Michigan MLL NCAA NLL Northern California Northwestern Notre Dame Ohio State Orange County Oregon Profiles Rankings Recruiting Schedules Southern California Stanford Syracuse US Lacrosse Victory Collegiate Consulting Videos Virginia Women's Lacrosse Women's Lacrosse Programs
- Should Helmets Be Introduced To Women’s Lacrosse? | Pretty Little Lions on High School Girls Lacrosse Injuries: Recent Head Injuries Fuel Calls For Women Lacrosse Players To Wear Headgear For Protection
- RK on NCAA Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of #3 Denver Men’s Lacrosse 13-12 Win Over #5 Loyola
- RK on NCAA Div II Lacrosse: Dominican Men’s Lacrosse (6-4) Come From Behind To Defeat Colorado Mesa 8-7 On April 7; Two-Game Lead In WILA Standings
- Bruce Dunfee on MCLA Lacrosse: #1 Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse Travels To #4 BYU In Big RMLC Conference Championship Game Rematch On April 5
- john mahoney on US Lacrosse Youth Rules: Boys Lacrosse “Substitutions” Are Either “Regular” Or “Special” (Video)
Monthly Archives: April 2012
NCAA Men’s Lacrosse: Latest USILA Poll Ranks UMass Men’s Lacrosse #1 Followed By Notre Dame, Loyola, Duke And North Carolina
College Athletics Recruiting: Identifying Important Areas of the NCAA Manual
By Tom Kovic
The NCAA Manual is the “go to” resource for prospects and families as they begin to build their education base in the college search. Between the Division 1, 2 and 3 manuals there is well over 1500 pages of helpful information!
The aim of this article is to direct you toward these resources and help you simplify your search and wrap your arms around recruiting terms, rules and procedures you will encounter as you navigate your personal college quest.
First, let’s search for a copy of the manual!
Go to www.ncaa.org. Click the “resources” tab. Under “Resources,” Click either the Division 1, 2 or 3 manual links. From there you can either order a hard copy of the manual or download a free Pdf version.
If you haven’t done so already, create a college folder on your laptop and create subfolder and label it “NCAA.” Save the manuals to your folder for easy access in the future.
The manual is loaded with tremendous information, but to be very honest with you, there is only a fraction of information parents and athletes should comb through. When you break it down, only 3 chapters or “Articles” in the manual are absolutely necessary to understand and utilize.
Article 13 Recruiting
This is a very important chapter that will provide you with the nuts and bolts of how recruiting works and the limitations and time-lines college coaches and families are bound. Below is a list of sub-articles I suggest you place your attention:
- Definitions and Applications
- Contacts and Evaluations
- Recruiting Materials
- Campus Visits
- Letter of Intent
You will notice in some cases multiple “revisions” of a rule or definition. Simply look carefully to the most recent date of the revision and the effective date and you will be right on target!
This chapter is a great “first read” that will begin to help shape your personal recruiting picture in your mind. Remember, the recruiting process is like learning a new language and sometimes you have to simply “jump in.” That being the case, the more you practice the more you will learn and understand.
Article 14 Eligibility: Academic and General Requirements
Boy is this ever an important chapter! Can you imagine going through the entire recruiting process, showing up to your college campus in the fall of your freshmen year and getting the news from your coach and compliance officer that you are ineligible to practice or play?
Academic eligibility is a necessary part of the college recruiting process and you want to be certain you are on track every step of the way. Whether it is scheduling the proper coursework during your high school years, registering for the NCAA Eligibility Center or taking the ACT’s you want to be sure you have your ducks in a row and hitting tangible targets! Below are important sub-articles to research:
- General Eligibility Requirements
- Freshmen Academic Requirements
- Transfer Regulations
- Certification of Eligibility
This chapter is critical and it will provide you with a clearly and spelled out list of academic requirements you will be expected to meet and recruiting pitfalls you want to avoid! Remember, you can’t play the game if you don’t know the rules!
Article 15 Financial Aid
This chapter is important and it will give you a very clear and informative analysis of both need based and athletic related financial aid (scholarships). It not only defines an athletic scholarship and how they are distributed, it also clarifies maximum limits (by sport).
This is a pretty short chapter and I suggest you focus on each sub-article:
- Maximum Limits of Aid (Individual)
- Terms and Conditions
- Elements of Aid
- Maximum Sports Limitations
Understanding NCAA rules and procedures is a critical component with any successful college search for athletes. The NCAA manual is a tremendous resource that is readily available. Creating a shortcut to navigate the important areas of the manual will be both time consuming and fruitful in building a well-rounded and resourceful empirical knowledge base as you prepare for college recruiting.
NCAA Lacrosse: Oregon Women’s Lacrosse Defeats Stanford 13-10 On April 29 To Capture 2012 MPSF Tournament Championship
NCAA Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of Johns Hopkins Men’s Lacrosse 10-9 Overtime Win Over Loyola On April 28
The #1 Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse team lost to Johns Hopkins in overtime 10-9 on Saturday afternoon in front of a sold-out Ridley Athletic Complex.
NCAA Lacrosse: Ohio State Men’s Lacrosse Closes Out Regular Season With 8-3 Road Win Vs Fairfield On April 28
NCAA Lacrosse: Denver Men’s Lacrosse Upsets Duke 15-9 Behind Goalie Ryan LaPlante’s 16 Saves On April 27
NCAA Lacrosse: #3 Notre Dame Men’s Lacrosse Hosts Syracuse On April 28; ESPN To Televise Top Big East Conference Game
NCAA Lacrosse: Video Preview Of 2012 Patriot League Tournament On April 27 Featuring Colgate Men’s Lacrosse Vs Bucknell And Lehigh Vs Army
The Colgate Raiders will host the 2012 Patriot League Tournament, which features three teams ranked in the nation’s top 20. Colgate will take on fourth-seeded Bucknell, while second-seeded Lehigh takes on third-seeded Army on Friday in Hamilton, N.Y.
NCAA Women’s Lacrosse: 2012 MPSF Championships Feature #1 Oregon Vs #4 Cal Berkeley And #2 Denver Vs #3 Stanford On April 27
MCLA Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of Cal Berkeley Men’s Lacrosse 11-10 Win Over Sonoma State On April 21
A major WCLL lacrosse game with playoff implications pits the #10 CAL Bears against the #15 Sonoma State Seawolves. The lead changes hand several times and each team makes a run at winning the game until CAL goes ahead with just 10 seconds remaining and then hangs on to win 11-10. CAL’s midfielder Daniel Cohen scores four successive unanswered goals in the third quarter to pull CAL back from a three goal deficit to a one goal lead. The teams will likely meet again in the first round of the WCLL playoff in two weeks.