FREE Email Subscription
- Lacrosse Knee Injuries: "Champion Magazine" Features "Obstacle Course: After Reconstructive Surgery, Student-Athletes Face A Grueling Path… 16 hours ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": Photos From Denver Men's Lacrosse Team At Lincoln Financial Field Media Day On May 23… 17 hours ago
- NCAA Lacrosse: Cornell Men's Lacrosse Attacker Rob Pannell Named "2013 USILA Lt. Raymond J. Enners Award" As Oustanding Lacrosse Player"… 18 hours ago
- NCAA Lacrosse: Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Middie Jim Marlatt, Defenseman Matt Miller Named 2013 USILA Third Team All-Americans; Matt… 1 day ago
- NCAA Lacrosse: Ohio State Men's Lacrosse Sr. Attacker Logan Schuss Named To 2013 USILA All-American Second Team; Dominique Alexander, Jesse… 1 day ago
- NCAA Lacrosse: Denver Men's Lacrosse Sr. Middie Cameron Flint Named First Team USILA All-American; Eric Law, Jeremy Nobles And Wesley Berg… 1 day ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": Syracuse Men's Lacrosse Head Coach John Desko And Denver's Bill Tierney Are "The Two Winningest… 1 day ago
- "2013 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships": #4 Denver Men's Lacrosse Faces #1 Syracuse In Semifinals On May 25 In Philadelphia; Second "Final… 1 day ago
- High School Lacrosse: Cherry Creek Girls Lacrosse Captures 2013 Colorado State Lacrosse Championship With 20-10 Win Over Centaurus; Third… 1 day ago
- NCAA Lacrosse: "A Weekend In The Life Of A Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Player" (Video) wp.me/pg5sH-97C 1 day ago
- Lacrosse ACL Knee Injuries: “Champion Magazine” Features “Obstacle Course: After Reconstructive Surgery, Student-Athletes Face A Grueling Path To Emotional And Physical Recovery”
- “2013 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championships”: Photos From Denver Men’s Lacrosse Team At Lincoln Financial Field Media Day On May 23
- NCAA Lacrosse: Cornell Men’s Lacrosse Attacker Rob Pannell Named “2013 USILA Lt. Raymond J. Enners Award” As Oustanding Lacrosse Player
- NCAA Lacrosse: Denver Men’s Lacrosse Sr. Middie Cameron Flint Named First Team USILA All-American; Eric Law, Jeremy Noble And Wesley Berg Named Honorable Mention All-Americans
- NCAA Lacrosse: Ohio State Men’s Lacrosse Sr. Attacker Logan Schuss Named To 2013 USILA All-American Second Team; Dominique Alexander, Jesse King And Joe Meurer Named To Honorable Mention All-American Teams
TagsBYU Cal Berkeley California Championships Club Teams Coaches College Recruits Colorado Colorado State Denver Division I Duke High School Boys High School Girls Johns Hopkins Lacrosse Magazine Major League Lacrosse Maryland MCLA Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association Men's Lacrosse Men's Lacrosse Programs Michigan MLL NCAA NLL Northern California Northwestern Notre Dame Ohio State Orange County Oregon Profiles Rankings Recruiting Schedules Southern California Stanford Syracuse US Lacrosse Victory Collegiate Consulting Videos Virginia Women's Lacrosse Women's Lacrosse Programs
- Should Helmets Be Introduced To Women’s Lacrosse? | Pretty Little Lions on High School Girls Lacrosse Injuries: Recent Head Injuries Fuel Calls For Women Lacrosse Players To Wear Headgear For Protection
- RK on NCAA Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of #3 Denver Men’s Lacrosse 13-12 Win Over #5 Loyola
- RK on NCAA Div II Lacrosse: Dominican Men’s Lacrosse (6-4) Come From Behind To Defeat Colorado Mesa 8-7 On April 7; Two-Game Lead In WILA Standings
- Bruce Dunfee on MCLA Lacrosse: #1 Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse Travels To #4 BYU In Big RMLC Conference Championship Game Rematch On April 5
- john mahoney on US Lacrosse Youth Rules: Boys Lacrosse “Substitutions” Are Either “Regular” Or “Special” (Video)
Daily Archives: August 1, 2011
College Lacrosse Recruiting: Tom Kovic Of Victory Collegiate Consulting Discusses Recruiting Opportunities For “Rising Junior Lacrosse Players”
Junior Days and the College Search for Athletes
By Tom Kovic
If you are a rising junior prospect, the summer is a great opportunity for you to launch your college search with earnest. Between the multitude of showcases, camps and tournaments you have attended and the profiles, highlight links and general inquiries you have forwarded to college coaches, you are well on your way. What follows is a snapshot of fall junior days and building this component into your college search plan in what is becoming a popular and critical trend in the college recruiting process.
Junior Days are dynamic and very effective strategies college coaches utilizes in attracting families and prospects to campus in an effort to give them the “dime tour.” But trust me when I say, there is more to it than that! College coaches utilize the unofficial visit (families basically pay their way) with the junior day visit to offer their top junior prospects the opportunity to attend recruiting specific meetings, take part in tours led by the coaches, attend a home football game and stay overnight with one of the kids on the team. And…It is all well within NCAA rules.
Several years ago, college coaches were using junior day strategy as a means of introducing young prospects to their institution and planting the “seed of interest.” Fast forward to present day and we will most likely agree that for top prospects on the radar, the “dating” phase of recruiting has been in progress for some time and getting an invitation to attend a junior day could very well be an opportunity for the college coach to lean strongly toward making a commitment.
This is most likely not the case with D-3 and select, non-scholarship institutions (Ivy, Patriot and highly regarded independents for example) where coaches are usually not yet positioned well enough to make firm offers until the junior year grades are in along with a round or two of standardized testing.
Prospect strategy regarding junior days has shifted somewhat as well. Not only do you guys want to get a look under the hood at a number of colleges and universities, you want to maximize the effort. NCAA rules are very strict regarding junior contacts with coaches, but if you can envision the college campus as a “haven” of recruiting where you can meet with coaches and discuss virtually anything about their institution and sports program, it will drive you to make the most of the opportunity.
Junior day opportunity can assist you in killing a couple of birds with one stone. Not only do you make an unofficial visit to campus with the chance to spend the night with team players, you have the chance to have some one on one time with the Coach to discuss his interest in you and vice versa. You get to mingle with the team and possibly meet with a regional admissions advisor. It’s a one stop shop.
The college search for athletes involves a myriad of tactics, organizational and management skill, along with a keen sense of determination to build momentum in an effort to effectively connect with college coaches. Junior days are one of several recruiting opportunities where college coaches naturally narrow down their recruiting list in an effort to bring their “A” group prospects to campus. The prospect and family who make every effort to develop meaningful relationships with college coaches will give themselves a great chance to take advantage of this opportunity.
Western Club Lacrosse: Video Highlights Of 2011 West Coast Starz East Coast Competition At Bulldog Jamboree At Yale On July 7 And Mid-Summer Classic At UMass on July 9-10
West Coast Starz “2011 Summer Highlights”:
1) Bulldog Jamboree (Yale) July 7, 2011
2) Mid-Summer Classic (UMass) July 9-10, 2011