Notre Dame women’s lacrosse coach Tracy Coyne, who is in her 15th season as the coach of the Notre Dame women’s lacrosse program, has announced the signing of six high school lacrosse players to national letters-of-intent. They will attend the University beginning in the fall of 2011.
Signing letters-of-intent in the early-signing period are: Taylor Freeman (Dallas, Texas), Leah Gallagher (Radnor, Pa.), Caitlin Gargan (Rocky Point, N.Y.), Allie Murray (Exton, Pa.), Shauna Pugliese (Rochester, N.Y.) and Barbara Sullivan (Garden City, N.Y.)
- Shauna Pugliese is a 5-5 midfielder from Rochester, N.Y., where she attends Webster Schroeder High School and is a member of the Relentless Hustle Lacrosse Club. As a junior, Pugliese led Webster Schroeder in goals (50) and points (69) and was an all-Greater Rochester team and first team Monroe County all-league selection while taking the Webster Warrior offensive MVP honors.
- Barbara Sullivan is a 5-10 defense/midfielder who is from Garden City, N.Y., where she plays at Garden City High School and is a member of Long Island Yellow Jackets lacrosse club. Ranked by many as the top defensive recruit in the nation, Sullivan is a member of the U.S. Women’s Lacrosse Under-19 training team. A four-year regular at Garden City, she has helped the team to three consecutive New York State Class B championships.
- Taylor Freeman is a 5-5 defense/midfielder from Dallas, Texas where she attends The Hockaday School and is a member of the Nitro Texas lacrosse club. A two-sport athlete in soccer and lacrosse, Freeman has played on two state championship teams in lacrosse (2008 and 2009) and saw her team advance to the state championship game in 2010.
- Leah Gallagher is a 5-5 midfielder from Radnor, Pa., where she plays at Radnor High School, one of the top high school lacrosse programs in the country. A two-sport athlete at Radnor where she also plays basketball, Gallagher will serve as the team captain for the lacrosse team that has won three consecutive Pennsylvania state championships.
- Caitlin Gargan is a 5-8 midfielder from Rocky Point, N.Y., where she attends Rocky Point High School and is a member of the Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse Club. A member of three Suffolk County championship teams (2008, 2009, 2010), Gargan has scored 113 goals with 134 assists in her first three seasons at Rocky Point.
- Allie Murray is a 5-5 goalkeeper from Exton, Pa., where she plays at Downingtown East High School and is a member of the PA Express lacrosse club. Recognized as one of the top high school goalkeepers in the nation, she is ranked fifth on ESPN RISE’s list of top senior goalkeepers “On The Rise” for 2011. In 2010, Murray backstopped Downingtown East to a 19-6 season, fifth place in District 1 and a berth in the second round of the PIAA state championships.
In making the announcement, Coyne said, “We are pleased to welcome an outstanding group of student-athletes to the Irish women’s lacrosse program. Not only has there talent on the lacrosse field impressed me, but also their commitment to academic excellence. Each one brings a unique skill set that will make an immediate impact on the program. They are passionate dedicated young women who are a perfect fit for Notre Dame.”
The six-player class consists of three players from New York, two from Pennsylvania and one for Texas as Taylor Freeman becomes the first women’s lacrosse recruit ever from the Lone Star state. The group includes one goalkeeper, two defensive midfield players and three midfielders.